January 21, 2016

Assassin's Creed Syndicate

Date played: January 20th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 8/10

I played a bit more of Assassin's Creed Syndicate and honestly, it just keeps getting better and better every time I play. I completed a few simple missions in the White Chapel area. In one mission, I had to free children from their work in a factory by killing all of their captors. In another, I had to grab a target and carry him using a horse carriage. This opened up a gang war mission where I had to kill a bunch of Blighter gang members and their boss.

As a reward, Jacob and Evie received a train! A whole train! Amazingly, this thing acts as a mobile base for the duo. I got to see other areas of the city by riding the train and boy, this game's map is fucking huge! There is a LOT of stuff to see and do in London, so I can see why there are horse carriages all over the place, it really helps with travelling through the city.

In the next mission, which takes place on the South-East end of the map, we met with none other than Alexander Graham Bell! He gave us a new tool, a sort of grappling hook, or rappel, that can be used to climb up buildings in a flash, and can create rope bridges between large gaps. While this may seem like a simple tool at first, it makes the entire game a whole lot better. Navigation is less frustrating and much faster thanks to this amazing device. Sometimes, it almost feels like a Batman game because of it!
Evie rappels up Big Ben, overlooking the famous Thames river
Using this new tool, Evie helped Bell hook up some fuse boxes on and around Big Ben. This was easily one of the coolest missions yet. I got to do some crazy climbing and rappelling on the rooftops of the English government buildings. The sense of scale was absolutely incredible... Big Ben wears it's name quite well.

After this, I spent some time completing side objectives and gathering collectibles and gold. There are a lot of skills and upgrades to purchase, so money seems to be more important than ever in this game. The more I play this game, the more interesting it becomes and I'm excited to get back to London and explore it some more.