January 20, 2016

Rocket League

Date played: January 19th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 9/10

Sometimes, I love video games so much that I do some real stupid shit.

For example, last night, I bought Rocket League on PC. It was an impulse buy with no good reasoning behind it. A complete, useless luxury, My only real reason for getting it was to have it look slightly nicer and run slightly smoother.... And it does! Combined with my wireless Xbox One controller, it felt like a real console experience, but prettier.
I pass the ball to myself, then score!
Bad life decisions aside, I definitely had fun with the game. One of the fun little quirks of buying a new version of the game is that I have a bunch of stuff to unlock again, I'm not ranked and I'm still considered a rookie...

So, I was matched up with players with less experience and less skill than I'm used to... It was so fucking weird honestly. I watched as beginners slowly, painfully tried to make plays. I was leagues ahead of them all, scoring goals left and right, kicking the ball from my end of the field to theirs with ease.  I almost felt bad for them. Almost.

I decided to try out some ranked play instead, hoping for better opponents. In the first couple of matches, I was still a dominating force on the field. However, my last match pitted me against one of the best players I've ever played with. This guy had such amazing control of his car, it was a real sight to behold. He would carefully, precisely line up his car with the ball at the right angle while in midair, would block shots that I didn't even know could be blocked and even scored a goal while upside down in the air. I was very much impressed with his skill, even if we lost 6-1. On the bright side, I'm the one who scored our lone goal...