January 3, 2016

Multiplayer high jinks special edition!

Date played: January 2nd
Platform: PS4 / PC
Session fun rating: 10/10

Wow! I had an awesome time playing multiplayer games with my brothers and friends yesterday. There was lots of Rocket League, Towerfall and a bit of Nidhogg to end the evening. At first, I played Rocket League online with one of my brothers and one of his friends. We are all pretty damn good, so it was no surprise that we won every single game we played.
I make an aerial bounce pass for my brother, who slams it into the net at high speeds!
I mean, we fucking destroyed every other team... I felt like we were some giant ogre stepping on ants or something. Two teams even forfeited! My brother's friend was pretty much a defensive player, guarding the net, though he wasn't afraid to move forward when it was safe to do so. My brother ended up being more of a striker and brawler, going into the corners, tapping at the ball, scoring a lot when the ball bounced close to the net. As for me, as usual, I roamed at the center field line, pushed the ball hard into enemy territory and sniped from the middle of the field. Watch our best play here!

Later at night, another of my bros came over and brought 4 friends with him and we spent the evening playing video games. My bro and I introduced them all to Rocket League. It took a while for them to learn the controls, but of course, they learned the basics pretty quickly. We then went online for some 3 vs 3. Obviously, with some new players like that, it was pretty rough at times and we lost quite a few matches, but everyone had a good time. There was lots of screaming, cheering and swearing!

We then played a bit of of Towerfall. I only have 3 controllers, so we had to settle for that, but we had tons of fun. We tried a few variants... We started with a favorite, exploding corpses. The fucked up thing about this mode is that players still score points if their corpse kills another player with it's explosion, turning the battlefield into a dangerous minefield.

The next variant we tried was pretty cool. We had a single arrow per match, but we also had speed boots, infinite wings and our corpses turned into ghosts. The ghosts were particularly fun, since they can kill other players by bumping into them. They can also be killed by arrows and head bumps, but considering that we only had one arrow each, the game became very strategic very quickly...

Finally, we played a few rounds of Nidhogg on my PC. I love Nidhogg, but sometimes, it just turns into a stalemate. When two players with similar skill go at each other, the match often devolves into a fruitless, endless battle that just moves back and forth all the time. I wish the game had a special powerup to pick up or something after spending more than 5 minutes playing. We still had fun with it, but it was clearly not as big a hit as Rocket League and Towerfall.