January 28, 2016

Rocket League

Date played: January 27th and 28th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 10/10

Rocket League really is something special. For years, my competitive multiplayer needs were fulfilled by Call of Duty. There were others of course, like Mario Kart 8, NHL, Battlefield, Forza, Dirt and even Destiny. However, this year, even with Battlefront sitting on my shelves, I always end up going back to Rocket League...

Last night was no different. I decided to mix it up a bit though and selected 2 playlists at the same time, ranked 2v2 and ranked 3v3. This meant I alternated between the two modes every few matches, which added some variety.
I score a pretty aerial goal
2v2 has a remarkable amount of open space on the field, which really works to my advantage. When I play Rocket League, I drive real fucking fast. This means I often have amazing last second goals and saves, but it also means that when I miss a shot, it becomes very dangerous, very quickly. I play a high risk, high reward style. In 2v2, because there's more open space, I usually have a better chance of recovering and beating the other players to the ball, even when I miss. I don't have that luxury in 3v3.

I played really well last night. In fact, I looked at my stats for the PC version and I've been MVP 24 times out of 64 matches... That means I was the best player in the lobby 37.5% of the time. That's pretty damn respectable. I've also won 60% of my matches and have scored 1.6 goals per game. Last night, I even had a few blowout games where we won 8-0, 8-1 and 7-1, so it was a good night. I was sharp!