January 26, 2016

Rocket League

Date played: January 25th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 10/10

When I sat down on my couch, I had the intention to make a new Super Mario Maker level. Then I thought to myself, "I could play a couple of games of Rocket League first...". More than 2 hours later, I was still playing some ranked 3v3 matches.

I've taken a liking to the ranked playlists recently, the quality of play is just so much higher than the regular matchmaking. Since this is on the PC version, I wasn't ranked yet, so I had to play 10 qualifying matches. I did rather well overall, getting a few MVP's and a good amount of goals, assists and saves. When I completed the matches, I was bumped up to the Bronze I class.
Ranked matches are full of action, like when. I score through 3 defenders here!
That's when the action heated up considerably. I mean, people were popping aerials all the time, making insane saves and generally just playing much better. I think I held my own, scoring a few goals and making some clutch plays, but man, it's real intense and requires constant concentration.

In one match, I made an absolutely epic save, maybe my best one yet. The other team had an open net, so one of their players took a high speed shot from close range, the slot, as we would say in hockey. I was riding the wall next to the goal at the time, so I boosted at just the right time to made a sideways, airborne, rocket propelled save! I watched the replay from the shooter's perspective later and he must have felt robbed, We lost that match, but I felt real good about my performance.