January 22, 2016

Rocket League

Date played: January 21st
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 9/10

I logged a few games of Rocket League on PC last night. It seems like I was matched up with better players now, like Semi-Pro, Pro, Veteran and Expert, so the matches were all rather challenging. It felt good to play with some competent players. I still did really well, including a match where I scored 5 goals and we won 8-0, but there were some tough matches throughout the night.

I actually developed a bit of a rivalry with a pair of players, I think they must have been a couple. It all began when I played my first match of the night. Early on in the match, I hit a bad bounce and I scored in my own goal. There wasn't much I could do, but it still sucks whenever that stuff happens. One of my teammates started insulting me in the chat. I let it go at first, but he kept making comments throughout the match, so I replied with some nasty talk of my own.

I score against my rivals
We ended up playing against each other in the next match and I soon found out that the other player knew him in real life. I really wanted to redeem myself for the bad play early on, and I really wanted to show this guy I was a good player, despite my error. Let me tell you, it was fucking intense. At times, we were just tackling each other instead of making the right play. I ended up playing well against both of them, but we were at about the same skill level, so the match was real close.

I spent most of the night playing in the same lobby as these guys, sometimes on their team, sometimes on the opposing team. Towards the end of the night, our chat was friendlier and we had developed a sort friendly rivalry. It makes me wish there was some sort of tournament mode in online play, or like, a best of 7 series or something, to build up rivalries and adapt to the play style of others.