January 24, 2016

SteamWorld Heist

Date played: January 24th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 8/10

There's been a lot of good buzz on the internet about SteamWorld Heist. Strangely, it plays absolutely nothing like the last game by that studio, SteamWorld Dig. In fact, Heist is a 2D turn based strategy game featuring robotic space cowboys... yep.

My little robot team scours the galaxy in search of precious water, and defends it against raiders and thieves. Each level is a randomly generated enemy spaceship, each with a different set of objectives, though in most cases, it's about killing everyone then getting the hell out. The coolest thing about the game is the novel aiming mechanic, where shots can ricochet off walls for crazy bounce shots.

I played through the first 5 or 6 levels and along the way, I gathered a few new teammates and some new gear. There are different classes for each player, like an assault class and a sniper class. I really like the combat in this and I definitely feel like this game was worth my money, at least so far.