January 27, 2016

SteamWorld Heist

Date played: January 26th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 8/10

I think I've found my new hockey-watching video game with SteamWorld Heist. The fact that it's turn-based makes it easy to pause when watching the game, then play a turn or two between face-offs and periods.

I ended up playing quite a bit, clearing the first world. The captain of my team, Piper, fills the role of sniper and healer. Sally, the roughneck farmer, is my assault character, using a shotgun and her special ability to deal lots of damage. Ivan is my heavy, armed with a rocket launcher and powerful melee, he's a force to be reckoned with.

As usual, most levels are just about killing everything, looting everything and getting the hell out. However, in the dozen or so levels that I played, I encountered two bosses. The first was rather easy. He was basically just a bigger robot with more health and a grenade launcher, but with precise fire, I was able to take it out easily.
Chop Sue was fun to fight
The second was a lot more difficult. Chop Sue is a giant robot that builds other robots by just sticking parts together, kind of like Dr. Frankenstein. Aside from her immoral actions, Chop Sue is also one hell of a fighter. She had a few minions with her that she could reassemble after I had destroyed them. She also had a powerful melee ability. Finally, she could activate a shield that I had to destroy by shooting at it's power source, mounted on her back. It was a fun battle and it led us to the next world as our little team keeps fighting the evil robots of the galaxy.