January 10, 2016

Assassin's Creed Syndicate

Date played: January 9th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 8/10

Well, it seems that the freezing issues I had last time are gone... So I continued the mission I was on with Evie, where I had to assassinate a man named David Brewster, a scientist. He held a "piece of Eden" in his lab and was doing experiments on it. It seems like these things are important, but it's really not clear why yet. After the mission, I met up with Jacob and our mentor. The twins suggested that it was time to go to London and help liberate it from the Templars, but our boss didn't like that idea at all. Jacob convinced Evie to just jump onto a train and go to London, ignoring instructions from the Assassins.
London awaits!
That's when the game really starts... London is absolutely spectacular with it's big streets, dense construction and beautiful architecture. The game looks really good graphically too, so that helps make the city more believable.

We met with an Assassin called Henry Green, an Indian assassin who has been working in London for most of his life. He showed us around a little bit, then the world map opened up. As usual for this series, there's a TON of stuff to do and discover in the huge city. There are chests and other collectibles to collect of course, but the most interesting thing is liberating the different boroughs from the gangs that occupy them.

I explored the map a little bit, in the borough of White Chapel. Interestingly, there are horse-drawn carriages that can be used as vehicles for Evie and Jacob to use as transportation. These things are pretty fast and there was even a combat encounter with them, where I could ram other carriages and use my new pistol to shoot enemies on the fly.

I completed two side missions that help liberate the city, one where I had to assassinate a Templar, the other where I had to clear out an area held by a gang and kill it's leader. There's a lot of new stuff in this game, like a big skill tree, leveling up and buying different types of weapons and armor. It's also really cool that I can switch between Evie and Jacob at anytime. I prefer the way Evie animates and talks, but Jacob is cool too.