August 30, 2013

The Wonderful 101 demo

Date played: August 29th
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 8/10

The Wonderful 101 plays like nothing I've ever played before. At it's core, it's really just a brawler, but Platinum games twisted the genre around so that it's almost unrecognizable. The whole idea, as the title indicates, is to control up to 101 heroes at once, fighting some sort of robot alien invasion in their city. The graphics are very colorful and inviting and it looks pretty good in general, with a nice framerate and awesome animations.

Fighting this tank thing was quite a challenge
The controls are a bit to get used to though. I don't know if it's because the demo is a little bit further into the game but it took me a while to get comfortable. There's a double jump, a dash, a throw attack (throws your followers), a weird sort of block and most importantly, combo attacks. The combo attacks are the main way to damage enemies. There is a punch, a sword and a gun. To perform these, you can either draw a specific pattern on the touch pad or use the right analog stick. It works well but it took me quite a while to get it right. Also, the bigger the pattern, the more of your dudes are used to attack, the more damage enemies take.

I fought giant robots of all kinds in quick succession. It seems that every 5 minutes, there is a new boss to beat, all of them cooler looking than the last. I played on normal difficulty but the deafult was easy. That might be why I died twice. As you can imagine, there is a shit ton of stuff going on at the same time, which can make combat a bit confusing. Overall, I liked that I played but I feel like the learning curve should have been a bit smoother.