August 28, 2013

Nano Assault Neo

Date played: August 27th
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 8/10

I've had my eye on this game since the first day I got my Wii U. This week, it was on sale so that was enough to convince me. This is a dual stick shooter set inside some living organism of some sort. The little ship has to eliminate enemies from the surface of a cell to "cure" the subject. In the end, it's really just a game about shooting though. It feels a LOT like Super Stardust HD. I didn't have much time to play, but I was able to play the first two levels of the first area. The game plays really well, is extremely responsive and has a cool upgrade mechanic driven by some in game currency. I equipped some satellites to my ship which grants and extra attack type, bought some shields and changed up my weapon.

One more thing, this game's graphics are fucking jaw-dropping. I mean, it runs at a perfect frame rate, has amazing depth of field effects and is very detailed. I think this is the best looking Wii U game I've played yet. Granted, it's not like this is a game the size of Assassin's Creed or GTA but it impressed me either way. There was also a fun, simple bonus level that played as a sort of tube racer. The goal is to pick up currency while avoiding obstacles. There's a two player mode too which I hope to try out sometime soon.