August 11, 2013

Gravity Rush

Date played: August 10th and 11th
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 9/10

I played a few challenge missions. These are specific tasks that award some gems to upgrade Kat's abilities. There are checkpoint races, battles and other activities. After at least trying a few of them, I moved on to the main missions. The first order of business was finding a home for our hero. She talked to a few people around the city, picking up a chair, desk and bed. This introduced a new ability, a sort of gravity field that forms around Kat, picking up any nearby objects or people. They can then be transported elsewhere or used as a projectile to attack enemies.

The next mission was about stopping the creatures from attacking the city. I kind of lost the plot, but I was tasked with replacing a gem at the top of a statue with a fake one. This turned out to be somewhat of a stealth mission. I had to navigate to the statue by using the walls and ceilings of the area to avoid being spotted. It's a cool idea but it's really hard to see all the enemies and which way they are facing. I could have done without this segment... Eventually, I made it, only to realize that the dude I gave the gem to was an impostor!
Story segments are really stylish

For some reason, the next mission had me visiting a fortune teller, who told me I needed to follow a white bird (using gravity tricks), go see a blue flag and pop some red balloons. This led me to a storyline about a boy who lost his father. I reunited them which opened up a portal to another dimension or something. This was an area where Kat had no gravity powers... I made my way through the area, avoiding enemies, only to find myself back mysteriously back in town.

I then played a couple of challenges, levelling up my skills along the way.  I also started the next mission but there wasn't anything I hadn't seen yet.