August 5, 2013

Pikmin 3

Date played: August 4th
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 10/10

Holy fuck, Pikmin 3 is amazing. I had played the first Pikmin game, back on Gamecube, but never played the second. I still don't know why because I really love this damn game. This is really still just Pikmin, but with up to three leaders, a few more pikmin type and some amazing graphics, mainly due to the art style and heavy depth of field effects.

The game starts with a stranded green commander dude, he discovers yellow pikmin but gets ambushed by an unseen creature when the game cuts to the second little commander dude. Blue dude. That's where the game really starts. The old formula still applies. Gather stuff, bring back to ship, grow pikmin, carry bigger stuff. Also, fight bugs and shit. I've rescued the third member of the crew, pink commander dudette, who can be launched up to solve some puzzles. It all feels great.
Pikmin 3 looks amazing
The only problem is, I'm using three physical devices at once. The pad on my lap to see the map and use the radio, and the nunchuk and wii remote combo to control my aim and character. I tried playing with only the Gamepad and it was just difficult to aim well.  Either way, I'm LOVING this game.