August 31, 2013

Civilization V

Date played: August 30th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 7/10

I started a Civ V game on Chieftain (normal) difficulty, on a tiny jungle world on small continents. Really, I was just there to try out a new mod that I found. It adds all of the civs from Mass Effect into the game! For myself, I chose the science focused Salarians, headed by Mordin Solus. For my opponents, I chose the Alliance, the Asari and the trading Volus. I started near Earth, but they haven't managed the tech required to be a problem. The Asari declared war on me though, but I kept them at bay with my strong fleet of ranged ships. The Volus are my best allies, providing research agreements and luxury trade. I'm focusing on a science win, but I might try for a diplomatic victory as well.

The cultured Asari aren't afraid to go to war
The Salarians have an interesting bonus for jungles tiles. I've played the game a bit differently than usual to take advantage of the jungle focus. My civ spans 2 continents and 5 cities. I've built the Pyramids and the Hanging Gardens. That's another thing, growth has been more difficult than usual since I don't cut down the abundant jungles. That means more granaries and aqueducts. I've just unlocked the Salarian special building, a science lab, but haven't built one yet.