August 23, 2013

Endless Space

Date played: August 22nd
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 7/10

Here's a game that's been sitting in my Steam library untouched for a few months. I love space and sci-fi, and I love Civ, so I thought Endless Space would be a good fit. At first glance, it's really a lot like Civ. Manage resources, explore, expand, build units and improvements, etc.

Endless Space replaces cities with solar systems, complete with many planets each which can or cannot be colonized, depending on their atmosphere and composition. There's also a really deep unit creation mode, similar to what was in Alpha Centauri back in the day. I started a game as the Sowers, a race of machines built to make as many planets as possible into liveable planets. There are tons of other cool races and factions but I picked the Sowers for their cool image and construction focused gameplay.
The faction selection screen is fun to read

Unfortunately, as with any game this complicated, it's gonna take me a few attempts to get things right. It wasn't long before my system was no longer sustainable. I will definitely lower the difficulty from Normal to something easier, but also, I have to just learn the systems here. I spent money on a hero, a unit that can garrisoned on a fleet or system to provide bonuses. It has an upkeep that put me in the red and kind of destroyed my early empire. I will try again though, this game seems really relevant to my interests...