August 8, 2013

Gravity Rush

Date played: August 7th
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 8/10

played the demo for Gravity Rush about a year ago and enjoyed it. Then, when PS Plus came to Vita, I got it for free and never booted it up until now. I only played a the first two chapters of the game, mostly just tutorial stuff. Kat wakes up next to a weird cat with no memory of anything. She walks around a bit until someone asks her to help save his son who is trapped in a house. There's a giant wormhole of sorts above the city and it was sucking up the house. I was confused, but went on to save the boy using the amazing gravity shifting mechanics of the game. After saving the boy, I met another gravity shifter, a lady with a crow companion but she floated away before we could talk.
This game is pretty awesome

I was then interrupted by a city worker, asking why I wasn't at work yet. It seems Kat has a job with the city somehow. Either way, he tasked me with fixing a nearby fountain by collecting gems in the neighborhood. I also fought a few monsters, little black creatures with a red weak spot. The game controls really well, giving the player an amazing sense of freedom. It's not uncommon to be flying around, changing gravity at the touch of a button and it all feels great. There are also stats to level up like health, speed and gravity shifting. The story is simple so far, but presented in a very cool, motion comic style.