August 23, 2013

Civilization V

Date played: August 22nd
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 6/10

I tried out a scenario I had never played before, themed around steam power. There are tons of new units in this thing, most notably steam airships. Now, I decided to play this one as normally as possible, which turned out to be a huge mistake. The problem is that I didn't quite read the objectives. It turns out, the scenario is about achieving a balance between military production, culture, economy, etc. The first player to fulfil three out of six conditions wins.
Airships are really good units

Now, I was busy fighting a war against a nearby city-state, then got attacked by another nation. While I had good resources and tech, I was not spending my production towards things that would help the game objectives. After establishing a nice, 4 city civilization, I was defeated by a far away neighbor who won by having a lot of the latest airships, tons of money, good culture and one more that I forget.