August 13, 2013

Pikmin 3

Date played: August 12th
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 10/10

I'm really having a great time playing Pikmin 3. I played through a bunch of in game days, I'm probably on exploration day 12 or 13 now. I've befriended yellow pikmin who can be thrown higher, can conduct electricity and are immune to electric attacks and barriers. The blue dude and the pink dudette got separated on one of the maps, so I built bridges and threw pikmin over rivers to reunite them. I've gathered tons of fun fruit like kiwis and oranges. It's tons of fun to play.

Scary insect!
The highlight of my time was a battle with a giant insect of sorts. An armored centipede that had to have it's protective shell broken with rock pikmin, then attacked in the soft parts by red pikmin. During the battle, the day ended! This forced me to retreat back to the ship. I was surprised to find out my progress on the boss had been saved so that I could continue the battle the next day! I find little touches like that quite entertaining. I also went back to the previous levels and opened up a few new areas with my yellow and rock companions, but didn't find much beside fruit.