August 25, 2013

LittleBigPlanet PSVita

Date played: August 24th
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 8/10

I picked this up used for 15$. I had played the demo a while back and loved it but the 40$ sticker price kept me away until now. Unfortunately, what I didn't know is that the game has a 10$ online pass. That means that I don't get any created levels, multiplayer or leaderboards and that's kind of a big fucking bummer. Now, if I finish this game's single player, I will see if I'm still interested in playing online and might buy the damn pass.

I played through the first world, mostly tutorial stuff, as well as a few from the second. As when I played the demo, I'm really enjoying this game. I played the two first games on PS3 and it's kind of surprising that the Vita version feels the best. I think it uses the Vita's features really well. For example, the touch screen functions are fun to use and don't feel tacked on. There were puzzles that had me push platforms back and forth using my fingers on the touch screen and back touch, depending on if I'm pushing in or out. The minigames unlocked through the story mode feel straight out of a mobile game, which is perfect for a portable system like this.
My little Craft Punk sack man beats up a marionette

I beat my first boss, a simple battle but one that required that I touch the screen to defeat him, all while controlling Sackboy with the joystick. The second world is themed after mechanical things and had me moving gears and mechanisms around. There was also a water level, which I understand was DLC for LBP2 but I never had a chance to try it. So far, it feels good enough and adds a few new puzzle types. I'm loving this game, I just wish I wasn't held hostage by an online pass.