June 28, 2013

The Last Of Us

Date played: June 27th
Platform: PS3
Session fun rating: 9/10

I met Bill. After navigating some nasty traps, including an amazing shooting segment where Joel is suspended in the air upside down, we finally got to talk to the crazy dude. Bill is definitely a character... He and Ellie have enjoyed many arguments, including Ellie flipping him the bird. He has a great setup in the town and was able to provide Joel with much needed supplies. He owes Joel a big favor, so now we are on a sort of treasure hunt to find parts that will help us fix a car to continue our journey west.

Joel got a lot of upgrades from Bill's stuff. I can now use a shiv twice before it breaks, I can make explosive scissor mines, I added a scope to my rifle, got a shotgun that fucking destroys enemies, upgraded listening mode and health and expanded my weapon slots so I can carry two pistols and two long guns without using the backpack. I feel a lot more powerful now, which I needed for the next few segments. I used the bow a few times but it's a bit hard to aim. Fortunately, it takes out regular enemies in one shot so it's useful to clear the way to a clicker.
A Bloater
I killed dozens of infected and clickers, mostly using stealth. We reached the town's school, which is supposed to have parts we need, when I encountered a new enemy, the Bloater. This is a person that has been infected a very long time. This was the first boss of the game. He is pretty dumb as all he does is lob spore grenades and charge blindly. I fucked up a few times though, he killed me twice before I got the hang of it. The big guys rip off Joel's jaw if they get too close. It looked amazing!