June 25, 2013

The Last of Us

Date played: June 24th
Platform: PS3
Session fun rating: 9/10

Joel, Ellie and Tess continued their progress towards city hall, where Ellie has to be dropped off. After a bit of navigation in the streets, we were forced to go through a small museum. The place was crawling with Clickers. I took out one with a shiv and I herded the other two towards an area where I could burn them with a molotov. Once we got out, after a few instances of plank and ladder navigation, we reached City Hall. The area was a bit flooded though and I learned that Ellie can't swim.

Once inside, it was evident that there wasn't a soul left alive from the group... These events triggered one of the best scenes in the game so far. I won't spoil anything, but the acting is simply amazing. I really felt the emotion of the characters, like you do in a good movie or play. They had to make hard decisions that had a lot of weight to them, themed around "the greater good". Either way, Joel and Ellie had to leave Tess behind in a very emotional scene.
Tess's actress is amazing...

Joel and Ellie then had to fight their way through City Hall, now filled with armed and armored guards. I also picked up my first rifle, though I haven't used it yet. I took down all the soldiers stealthily by just sneaking around and strangling them. I received my first upgrades too. I chose to upgrade one of my revolver's fire rate and Joel's weapon sway.

The last segment I played was a flooded subway station. This proved to be most boring chapter in the game. I mean, they are combining a water level and a train level and manage to make it feel like a fucking sewer level. It was uninteresting and ugly... We made it out after taking out a few soldiers and using a wooden pallet as a raft for Ellie to get across some areas since she can't swim. We are now in the woods outside the city, trying to reach one of Joel's friends who owes him a favor. It seems he might be able to get us a car so we can continue our journey west.