June 17, 2013

Fire Emblem Awakening

Date played: June 16th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 9/10

I finished Fire Emblem Awakening! I first played through Paralogue 22 and a few random battles though. Paralogue 22 was the most interesting of the free DLC missions. It pit my team and Aversa (the dark witch) against an evil twin team. The other team consisted of copies of every unit I had on the field. That meant I had a crew of fucking bad ass enemies to beat. Thankfully, they don't pair up so I paired up everyone, put my strongest units at the head of a choke point and took out the opposing team one by one. Gerome and My Unit were by far the toughest to beat, both having high defense, resistance and amazing avoidance.

After a few random challenges, I checked out Paralogue 23 but it seemed more like a bonus mission than anything else because it featured an obscene amount of units, something like 30 or so. I don't have enough depth to take out a strong team of that size so I just skipped the mission and went to the last battle.

Chrom and Lissa in the epilogue
The last fight wasn't very hard, but it had to be completed quickly as the fell dragon Grima calls in reinforcements every turn. If not dealt with quickly, I could have been overwhelmed. I also had to choose whether to kill off Grima forever by using my unit or sealing him away for a few hundred years with Chrom's blade. I chose to end the madness and sacrificed my unit to kill Grima. During the credits, I read eulogies from all my fighters, a nice touch. There was a short epilogue suggesting that my unit survived and was found by Chrom and Lissa put it wasn't super clear.

This is easily my favorite game of this year. After 47 hours of play, I'm really happy I bought this. Nintendo really knows how to create interesting games, I wish they would have more mechanics heavy titles like Fire Emblem. Maybe they will revive Advance Wars?