June 21, 2013

Mario vs Donkey Kong

The last level felt like this
Date played: June 20th and 21st
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 8/10

I finished Mario vs Donkey Kong! At least, I finished the main story. World 6 was very difficult, forcing me to restart and scratch my head more than once. The mini Mario level was particularly devilish, combining the pied-piper mechanics with switches, conveyor belts, spikes, electric beams and even a garbage can used as a stepping stone. The DK level was pretty easy as it had me step on switches to route a Bob-omb to DK's head, all while avoiding electricity beams.

At the end, because DK's bag of tricks is empty, Mario, the minis and three toads mock DK. He responds by kidnapping the three toads and challenging Mario to one last battle. The level was very reminiscent of the original Donkey Kong game. I had to find three keys to unlock the Toad's prisons, then wait for them to deliver an over-sized barrel meant for DK's noggin. After three hits, he went down. I was surprised to see more levels appear after the ending, a sort of "Plus" mode. Honestly, I'm happy with what I've played and will probably never touch the extra stuff.