June 18, 2013

Mario vs Donkey Kong

Date played: June 17th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 9/10

This game is getting better and better, even if it's now a lot harder than the first few worlds. I've completed the last few levels of World 3, played through World 4 and started World 5. World 3 was pretty easy and simple throughout, with the simplest boss fight yet. It's called Fire Mountain and of course, features a bunch of lava all over the place. I had to navigate areas that had rising and falling lava, ferrying keys up and down some switch activated platforms. I also met some fiery birds that dropped flaming turds.
Flame-throwing Shy-Guys and birds that shit fire

World 4 is called Spooky house. Obviously, this part features some Boo's as it's pretty much just set in a ghost house. I also had to avoid Thwomps, the falling stone monoliths. I was forced to use more advanced techniques in this world. Things like throwing keys, back-flipping and using switches to create platforms out of ghosts. The puzzles were good, challenging and not frustrating, with the exception of one that had a stray ghost that kept getting in my way. I made lots of mistakes too and got a couple of Game Over screens as a reward... The boss battle was all about picking up shy-guys at the right time to throw them at DK. It was pretty easy.

World 5 is called Mystic Forest and introduces a new switch that controls the direction of conveyor belts in the level. Of course, I had to use those to bring a key to the door, but I also had to use block switches to make a path. There is also an enemy type that can push Mario through small openings since he can't crawl. Add all those things into a level and you have an interesting puzzle.