October 3, 2012

Resistance 3

Date played: October 2nd
Platform: PS3
Session fun rating: 8/10

I finally started playing Resistance 3 after picking it up for 25$ about a month ago. I really enjoyed the first game and played through the second, even though I didn't like it as much so I thought I would give this one a shot seeing as it got some decent reviews and looked pretty fun. So far, it's definitely better than the second game and probably on par with the first, except it looks a lot prettier.

This game has style
I played three missions. The first was pretty much just setting the tone and teaching me how to play the game. The setting is pretty cool. It seems to be set a few years or months after the second game and humans are now hiding in small pockets of resistance (!). You play as Joe Capelli, the guy who shot Nathan Hale at the end of R2 and he is part of a refugee group in Haven, a mid-western town I think. He has a family and everyone lives underground. Soon enough, the Chimera are spotted attacking the town and our silent hero heads out to shoot their heads off.

The weapon wheel is back, none of that two weapon limit bullshit from the second game. Also surprising to me, there is a health meter and no regenerating health at all! I even have to pick up health packs, something I haven't really done in a while. I shot a giant robot thing for a while and then fought more Chimera.

This seems like a good shooter so far, just like the first game was. The AI is fairly smart, the enemies have a lot of health, the fights are intense sometimes remind me of how Halo's campaigns feel. The fights are more about tactics and weapon selection than accuracy, at least so far. The weapons are some of the coolest in any game. All of them have nice secondary fire functions and many of them feel really unique. The Auger is always lots of fun since it shoots through walls! I am excited to see what else this game has in store.