October 11, 2012

XCOM Enemy Unknown

Date played: October 10th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 10/10

Ok, this is it, this is my game of the year so far. I'm a huge Firaxis fan, in fact, Civ V is easily one of my top three games of all time so I was super hyped for XCOM. I avoided pre-release coverage, I watched no videos, only saw a few screenshots and avoided interviews. I trusted Firaxis and boy, did it pay off.

This is, in many ways, my ideal game. Aliens, cool weapons, resource management, scientific research, alien interrogations, turn based combat, tactical gameplay and unit customization. It really fits my favorite type of gaming. It's no surprise then that I am sacrificed all important sleep for ONE MORE TURN. In many ways, I feel like this pulls the same strings in me that the Civilization series does.
A game made just for me
 Either way, I played through quite a few missions, got two of my soldiers killed, promoted six of them, upgraded my headquarters, shot down a UFO and killed dozens of sectoids and thin men, the first few alien types. I'm still in the tutorial but so far, it's shaping up to be amazing.