October 7, 2012

Resistance 3

Date played: October 6th
Platform: PS3
Session fun rating: 8/10

Whew, this game is intense! I ambushed a drop ship in St-Louis, stole their power core and ran like hell. On the way back to a broken VTOL that could take me to NYC, a Widowmaker attacked me. The Widowmaker is a huge spider looking Chimera that spits poison. Anyway, I fought it by shooting it's glowy bits and avoiding the poison. The Bullseye's tracking rounds very effective against it because it moved really fast. After killing it, we brought the power core back to the VTOL and flew out.

Then I must have missed a part because I fell off the VTOL in Pennsylvania and I didn't really notice why... Either way, when I landed I was treated with a stealth/sniping level. It was really refreshing actually and I had to take it really slow. I used the Auger's see-through walls ability to spot cloaked enemy snipers and shot them with the Deadeye rifle. I was spotted a few times and got easily overwhelmed by enemy fire from snipers, foot soldiers and even dropships. The next chapter had me fight one of those dropships with a new weapon, the Wildfire. It's a rocket launcher with lock-on ability. While it was cool fighting a dropship, I was doing so on a bridge full of debris and holes. This being a first person game, I fell off the bridge a few times by accident because I couldn't see the ground from aiming at an aircraft...

After that, I reached a religious community that could help me fix a train to get to NYC. The repair guy was on an errand and never came back though so I was tasked with finding him. The next part was kind of a poor man's Ravenholm from Half-Life 2. Basically, it was a town with lots of melee enemies. I ended up using the Rossmore shotgun, the Atomizer (a close range energy beam weapon) and the Magnum to take out the rushing hordes of zombie-like Chimera.
Satan
Eventually, I found my repair man friend but he was on a mission to kill Satan and wouldn't help me until it was dead. Satan is a large worm creature that took over the underground mining shafts of the town. I went into the shaft and killed Satan by shooting at it's eyes until it was blind then threw propane tanks in it's mouth. I don't really understand why I couldn't just throw grenades or rockets in there but whatever, Satan is dead and I am now on the train towards NYC again.