October 12, 2012

New Super Mario Bros 2

Date played: October 12th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 9/10

I finished New Super Mario Bros 2. While this was no Super Mario 3D Land, it was still a really fun game. Unfortunately, it was a little bit too easy... The last parts of the 6th world were mostly lava related levels with some pretty creative use of flames and such. There was also a really cool mechanic in one level where the Koopa kids ride Bowser's old clown flying thing from Super Mario World. They use a flash of light intermittently that freezes Mario in stone which results in a deadly fall into lava most of the time...

Good job whoever made this!
The last fight with Bowser was pretty cool, based around jumping from platform to platform while avoiding his giant claw swipes. The credits were actually lots of fun too... I controlled Mario while he held the princess in his arms and caught tons of coins flying all over the place, all with the credits rolling in the background. Then I played the secret Star world which required 90 star coins to unlock. Thankfully, I had 95 so I never had to go back to gather more.

The Star world was fun, it was sort of a collection of the best levels from all the previous worlds, a director's cut of sorts. Again, while not very hard, the levels were well designed and original. To finish it off, I played through a harder version of the last Bowser castle, including his scary skeleton version. I'm really happy I played this game but it certainly wasn't as good as the Galaxy series or 3D Land.