October 15, 2012

XCOM Enemy Unknown

Date played: October 14th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 10/10

Wow, XCOM is amazing. This is a game that doesn't treat it's players like they were a blubbering preteen. It's serious, it's uncompromising and it's fucking hard man. I played a ton and I can't even begin to describe it all but one mission really stood out from the rest. The team captured a weird energy alien and managed to gather the location and entry code to an alien base underground.

I sent out the team to the craziest mission yet. To make matters worse, most of my good soldiers were wounded and only had my sniper and one of my assaults. That meant I had three fresh soldiers in there... It was a gauntlet of a level. I got ambushed by a new type of enemy which is melee only (yay!) but they have amazing range, are very strong and can turn my dead soldiers into zombies that attack their former team mates (FUCK!).

My sniper, trying to protect his low level rookies in the terrifying alien base
I now have six squad members which makes things a lot easier. I also have laser weapons that work really well and have just built a new satellite uplink center and ordered three satellites to extend my world wide coverage. So far, I haven't lost any countries and only lost a handful of soldiers. I just want to keep playing this, it's pulling at me...