October 23, 2012

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP

Date played: October 21st
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 6/10

By all accounts, this game should be amazing. It has fantastic art, one of the best soundtracks in a while and has an interesting world. Where it fails, at least for me, is how it actually plays. Combat is actually pretty cool, if simple. The little lady hero blocks and stabs to the beat and it works. The problem is more...well, everything else.
Sword and Sworcery looks beautiful...too bad I didn't enjoy the playing part

There's too much walking and too little to do. I found the first piece of a Trigon, a sort of magical thing that I need for whatever reason. Then it got weird. I had to go to a spot while the moon in the game is "bright". The first time I tried that, it turns out the moon wasn't bright, it was almost bright. That meant rethreading the same area while my little lady walks slowly through the same old environments. When I tried it a second time, I still couldn't find the path I was supposed to follow. I got bored and frustrated and quit. While I may be missing something obvious, I didn't care about the gameplay enough to keep going. I might go back to this one day but I doubt it.