October 27, 2012

Vita game demo sessions

Date played: October 25th and 26th
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 8/10

I spent some time playing some demos on the Vita last night while watching some Top Gear episodes. I started with Super Monkey Ball Banana Splitz. Yep, that's a "z" there. This game is just Monkey Ball though. Good old Monkey Ball. Not worth 35$ for me but maybe if it drops to 15$ I will consider it. It was very pretty too...

The next demo was LittleBigPlanet PS Vita. Now THIS is a good game. There were about three or four levels in the demo and while the first one was more of a tutorial, the rest was just lots of fun. It feels even better than LittleBigPlanet 2, it looks amazing, it sounds great and it plays really well. There's some great stuff with the touch screen too like small platforms that have to be moved with your fingers. It doesn't feel forced and is fun. I want to play this...

LBP Vita is awesome!
Third, I tried Silent Hill Book of Memories. Surprisingly, this isn't anything like any Silent Hill game I've seen in the past. This is actually a dungeon crawler complete with a minimap, seemingly random rooms, melee combat, level ups and even equipment. The combat is pretty cool too. It has a block button, one button for each arm (and weapon) and a lock on button. It was fun but I would get bored pretty quickly.

Lastly, I played Escape Plan, a 2D puzzle platformer in black and white. The game is really cool, using touch controls in a smart way. I sometimes had to push panels in with the back panel, I had to press switches with the front touch screen and I even had to pinch my little characters using both the front and back touch surfaces at times. Overall, this seems like a good game with Vita specific gameplay and a good price. I might buy in the future.