October 9, 2012

Pokemon Heartgold

My new friend Totodile
Date played: October 7th and 8th
Platform: DS
Session fun rating: 8/10

All this talk about Pokemon Black and White 2 got me interested to try one of these games again. I had tried Black a while back and got bored really quick but this time, I'm enjoying myself a bit more. This is easily one of the most mindless RPG's out there....which is why I like it right now. It doesn't require good reflexes or a sharp mind, it just wants to be played.

I played kind of a lot... I managed to get to the first city and beat the first gym leader. I picked a Totodile as my starter, a water based crocodile thing. I picked a few different pokemon along the way to complement him. I have a Butterfree, a butterfly that I evolved from a caterpillar. I also have Macheep, an electric sheep; Tentacool, a poisonous octopus; Geodude, a rock thing with fists and the last member is an Egg that I am trying to evolve. Apparently, these things will hatch after a certain number of steps taken by the player.

I had a hard time with the Gym leader the first time around since his second pokemon has a healing ability. Being completely new to this series, it's kind of a lot to learn in terms of type strength and weaknesses. There are tons of different types, stuff like flying, electricity, rock, fire, etc. Either way, I managed to beat him on my second try by getting my Macheep to paralyze it long enough to kill it. I'm off to the next city I guess.