October 25, 2012

Warhammer 40k: Space Marine

Date played: October 23rd
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 7/10

I played the demo for this on PS3 a long time ago and when I saw it on sale on Steam for 5$, I thought it would be a great filler game when I'm between big releases. Next week I'll probably be busy with the new Need for Speed and I just wrapped up XCOM so this seemed like a nice, short game to play in the meantime. Space Marine is a simple game. It's a pure, old school, third person shooter with some brutal melee and dozens of fodder enemies to chomp through.

I played the first three chapters and as far as I can tell, it's all about Space Marines kicking the shit out of Orks for no good reason other than the fact that they are Orks. I disabled one of their large guns for what it's worth.

DIE MOTHERFUCKER DIE!
The combat is the star here though. It's a game that makes you FEEL the power of your character. He has a ton of health, kills enemies quickly and is just plain strong. The challenge comes from the sheer amount of enemies on screen at a time. There was also a cool jetpack section that includes a really fun "ground pound" type of attack. Overall, this feels like a good, if not exceptional game that will satisfy my gaming needs until next week.