September 6, 2012

Darksiders 2

Date played: September 6th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 9/10

Whew, this game just picked up some steam! I reached the Tree of Life with the guardian's help to clear the path. Then, to my surprise, I was confronted by Corruption itself, formerly Death's brother. It's all a little crazy but basically, I was sent to the Land of the Dead by him and now I'm kind of stuck there. the Land of the Dead has a grim atmosphere and almost no vegetation so it really feels like a different realm.

Death kills his brother
I started by doing a nearby side quest that had been given to me by a Maker in the previous world. I think the dungeon was a bit higher level than I was because the regular enemies were sort of tough but the last boss (after countless puzzles and platforming sections) was a real bitch. I had very little room for error as he could sometimes kill me in one shot with a freezing hammer attack. I must have died at least seven or eight times until I got a good rhythm going and finally evaded him well enough to land good hits and take him down. I have now managed to level up my summoned ghouls to their maximum level and they are pretty powerful as well as inexpensive to cast. I use them extensively whenever I deal with more than three enemies at a time.

Then I moved on to the main quest again which had me explore the land a bit and eventually find two gargantuan flying snakes pulling a ghost ship. It was one of the most epic moments I've played in a game in a long time. It almost felt like God of War. Death jumped on them and rode Despair until he could find solid footing on the ship. After some fun platforming, I reached a hub area hosted by a few lingering ghosts, all working for the Lord of the Dead. It seems I have to speak with him to get the fuck out and he won't talk to me until I complete his arena challenge. It turns out the arena is really a full dungeon with the last boss being the arena champ. I can't wait to see how this plays out!