September 8, 2012

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3

Date played: September 8th
Platform: PS3
Session fun rating: 8/10

I played a bit of multiplayer but I wasn't very good, my reflexes just weren't there. I should mention that I've now started using the Assault kill streak package as I am definitely getting more kills in one life now that I have the M60. I have it setup with a care package, predator and attack helicopter. It works out pretty well I guess.

After that, I played through three missions in single player. The first mission I played featured captain Price, Soap and a new guy, Yuri. I'm not really clear on what they were looking for, Makarov I think, but the mission involved clearing some streets of enemies and driving a little remote tank. The remote tank was lots of fun to use and could take down helicopters in a flash or grande large groups of enemies. The next mission was fucking INSANE! I played as a security agent on board the Russian president's plane. Of course, it wouldn't be a CoD mission without a terrorist hijack. The coolest part of the mission was when the plane dipped or swerved, gravity was affected, there were even sections where I could shoot enemies while being in a sort of zero g state....fucking great! In the end, the plane crashed and I had to rescue the president. I failed, Makarov got to him and shot the guy I was controlling in the head.
Haters be haters, this is one of the best CoD missions I've played.

The last mission I played was set in Sierra Leone and had a lot of stealth segments. Along with Price and Soap, I sniped militia men while hiding in the brush. There were even some damned hyenas that attacked us. The mission was more standard fare but it was fun. The only problem I have with this game (aside from the usual AI issues) is that the pacing is way off. It's like the dial is always turned to 11 which ends up making the cool segments feel more bland. I think it would feel better if there were 5-10 minute sections of quiet, of non-combat. It would help give more weight to the crazy action set pieces.