September 27, 2012

Darksiders 2

Date played: September 26th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 9/10

I played through the City of the Dead, the last big dungeon in the Land of the Dead. I thought I would have my three ghost buddies at this point but when I turned in the quest to the Lord of Bones, he just destroyed their souls in spite or something. It wasn't super clear but instead, he did give Death the ability to split his soul into two halves which can be controlled independently to solve puzzles. Basically, it turns Death into a statue and spawns two more Death's that can switched to at will. They control just like the real thing and can fight as normal. The only constraint is that they can't go too far from the statue.

It makes for some crazy cool puzzles full of switches, pressure plates and even moving platforms. The thing is, when I revert back to regular Death, I reappear at the statue. For some puzzles, that meant putting the statue on top of a movable platform so that I can move my original self past the gates that were opened by the two halves. It's really cool and challenges the mind without being impossible or frustrating.

Two Deaths, one platform
I then killed a big boss who was keeping the souls of humanity captive...or something. Either way, I cut the shit out of it's ugly head and was instructed to go back to the Tree to see the next realm. Instead, I explored a few things. I started with the Arbiter's maze. I just saw it on the map and I remembered that I had picked up items that had instructions for it. Unfortunately, when I got there it said there were 10 levels of it and I only had directions for three of the levels. I guess I'll come back later. I also spent some time getting a new possessed weapon since I leveled up to 18 and was still rocking a level 16 and level 15 weapon. I got a buckler and put critical chance, critical damage, strength and heal on critical on it. This makes me a crit and heal machine of doom! I also realized I had been doing it wrong the whole game. By equipping different weapons and checking my stats, I realized that strength was a MAJOR reason as to why my damage wasn't really going up that much. It has a direct impact on damage which I never really saw. Now I'm stacking strength.