September 3, 2012

Darksiders 2

Date played: September 1st
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 10/10

I completed the dungeon I had started where I needed to get three Maker souls to activate a large guardian construct. He was supposed to lead the way to the Tree of Life. When I finished the platform filled dungeon, we found out that one of the three souls was corrupted and it infected the giant construct. The Maker leader tried to stop him by using some fancy magic but it wasn't enough. The construct had to be destroyed in order to be cleansed and rebuilt from scratch.

Time for an EPIC fight! I was let loose in a large open area to battle the construct. This was a two phase fight, most of it fought while riding my trusty steed, Despair. The fight was a bit like those in Shadow of the Colossus or something. The first phase had me shooting some glowy bits and jump on the guardian's arm and attack it. The second phase had me redirect large balls of explosives towards the guardian. After taking out both it's arms, the fight was over and the Maker leader could reactivate the construct safely.

The fight with the guardian was totally EPIC!
At this point, I decided to go out and do some side quests. I killed a giant flaming dragon thing that wasn't available before I got the Deathgrip ability, a hookshot essentially. The fight was a bit tough so I resorted to cheap tactics. Every time the dragon was getting too close for comfort, I jumped off a platform and that reset the encounter, but not the dragon's health! I also found a construct head that is looking for his limbs which are scattered throughout the land. I only found one arm so far. There was also another full, optional dungeon to kill a lava dude gone rogue. It was quite surprising as it was a real dungeon with tons of enemies, platforms and puzzles but it was all optional. Next up, the Tree of Life.