August 22, 2011

Wipeout HD/Fury

Date played: August 21st
Platform: Playstation 3
Time played: 60 minutes
Session fun rating: 9/10

It's weird how I decided to play this...  I was listening to some Deadmau5 and some of the sounds in his songs remind me of Wipeout.  Then I thought, why not add Deadmau5 to my Wipeout HD music playlist.  The natural next step was to just go in and play the game, which I did!
This album fits in very well with Wipeout

I played online and it's clear that the mass influx of players that was generated by the PSN Welcome Back program is dwindling quickly.  There were less than a dozen rooms open but I still managed to find two good lobbies.  The first was Flash class with pretty skilled players.  I didn't make the podium once in about six races but I did finish fourth quite a few times.  I was rusty at first but I was still outclassed by better players.

I then played a few races in a Venom lobby.  I did better there as players were clearly not as good as the previous lobby.  I placed second and third a few times, missing the podium only once and never grabbing first place.

Deadmau5 was a real motivator for me, the music fit very well with the action.  More games need to offer custom soundtracks on PS3.  Xbox has it for all games but it's not affected by gameplay like it is in Wipeout.  In Wipeout HD, when you take a jump, the music mutes for a bit.  When you activate a shield, the sounds are muffled.  This is something that more studios need to get working, it's easily one of my favorite things about this game.