August 22, 2011

Pixel Junk Eden

Date played: August 19th
Platform: Playstation 3
Time played: 15 minutes
Session fun rating: 7/10

I didn't know what to play so I booted up Eden for the first time in a year or so.  I lost my progress because of my PS3 failing.  I only had time to complete the first objective of the first two levels.  It was very easy but I remember the game becoming much harder very quickly.

I still love the concept, as crazy as it is.  Control a little humanoid character through a sort of 2D garden.  Jump to gather "spores" which will fill "spore containers" on the playing field.  Then touch the container to sprout plants that will act as platforms for your little guy to move higher and higher through the level to reach the elusive objective.
Eden has a very interesting visual style

It's crazy.  Another important mechanic is the swinging.  The little guy can swing off plants in a circular fashion to collect more spores than usual.  The kicker is that there is a strict time limit that can be extended by touching power ups on the field.  Regardless, it's a fun, mindless kind of game that lets me relax within a short period of time, maybe I'll jump back in and play some more, who knows?