November 2, 2017

The Fall

Date played: October 31st
Platform: PS4

I finished The Fall!

What an ending... I don't want to spoil it all here, since it's easily the best part of the game, but it was definitely one of the more interesting stories I've seen in a game recently. I still had many puzzles to solve to get there though.

I was completely stuck trying to find a special motherboard so that I could repair a terminal. I even resorted to a walkthrough and still couldn't do it... It turns out, the place where I was supposed to pour superconductive fluid on wasn't "visible" to the UI until I had read some logs on a terminal. I kind of don't get it, and it sucked, but I eventually stumbled through.

I spent most of my time going down to the lowest level of the facility to cheat and make myself pass the domestication test. One of the obstacles along the way were a pair of dangerous fish, preventing me from walking through the flooded area. I picked up some syrup from a broken vending machine, then dropped it on a wooden, floating plank near the fish. This attracted small insects. I then pushed the plank to the middle of the water and waited for the fish to take the bait. I had to shoot it as it jumped up to clear the way.

The second fish required that I cut open the first one, drop it's innards in a detergent container, then use that to take a shower of fish guts. This made the second fish want to mate with me, rubbing against the combat suit's leg as I drained the water nearby.

The Caretaker attacks A.R.I.D.
When I reached the bottom, I was able to activate the mainframe for the Administrator, but just as I was about to modify the program for domestication, I was attacked by the Caretaker! He believes A.R.I.D. is faulty and needs to be formatted. I really don't want to spoil too much here, but let's just say that I had to chase the Caretaker through most of the facility. I then fought him one on one with my pistol!

The boss fight was serviceable, but nothing special. I''m going to keep this really vague, for the sake of anyone reading this who wants to play it, but holy shit, the conclusion was really impactful and worked so well. The story is even darker than it appeared to be, and the game even sets itself up for a sequel, which is supposed to come out early next year.

I really enjoyed The Fall. While it's really rough around the edges (combat, movement, animation, some obtuse puzzles), the story, characters, atmosphere and intrigue kept me interested throughout. Let's hope for a great sequel!