November 4, 2017

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Date played: November 3rd
Platform: Switch

I finished Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle!
Group selfie!
There was only one level left, but it was a good one. Bowser himself was possessed by the giant fire bird thing, so we team up with Bowser Jr. to bring the world back to normal! The battle was very difficult and required at least some form of healing, at least with the weapons I had available. This meant that my first attempt was pretty much doomed.

Bowser now has a giant set of wings and can fly around the level, shooting fireballs that deal heavy damage at anyone in view. He has 3 phases, each with 1600 HP. Each phase comes with it's own set of minions to defeat too...

I settled on Mario, Luigi and Rabbid Luigi, for his vampire dash ability. Even though I couldn't use it on the boss himself, I figured I was still able to heal enough by damaging the minions that I could win. I also completely redid my talent tree to be tailored exactly to the needs of the battle. I still needed a few more tries, but eventually, I beat him.

The biggest problem was the third phase, where Bowser would go inside his shell and attack the closest party member. The trick was to position my guys in a way where King Koopa would hit the metal blocks instead of them. It was hard, and in the end, I only had Rabbid Luigi left alive, thanks to his awesome vampire healing. I literally had 1 HP left when I won. It was crazy.

Bowser returned to normal, as did the rest of the world. Spawny is safe. The fire dragon beast is gone. All is well that ends well! There's still tons of stuff to do in the game though, like dozens of challenges, new weapons to find and buy and a few more things. I'm sure I'll dabble with the game again once in a while.

Kingdom Battle is a completely silly concept that seemed like it would be complete garbage. Fortunately, it was saved by brilliant gameplay mechanics, a fun world and a great art style. My unconditional love of turn based strategy games with an emphasis on combat may have had a little something to do with that I guess, but I really loved this game and I hope other games get inspired a little bit by this crazy thing.