November 6, 2017

Torment: Tides of Numenera

Date played: November 5th
Platform: PS4

I bought this game during a recent PSN sale. I've had my eye on it for a while, but it was too expensive... This isn't a game for everyone, and I know exactly what I was getting. Torment is similar in style to many old school PC RPG's like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. However, it's a game that is more focused on dialogue and other interactions rather than combat.

I only played the intro, which is basically a character creator, but it was very interesting. I wake up in a body, with no clear memories. I am in a vast chamber that is completely surreal and can speak with orbs of light. These lights ask me to choose a reaction to a situation via dialogue trees. My choices then affected my recommended class and specialties. It's a cool system, with many clever and fun questions.

Being someone that really enjoys reading, this type of game is perfect for lazy late nights and times where I don't want to focus all my mental energy on a video game, instead absorbing it's world and story and making choices.

I soon learned that I was a lost soul living in the husk of a body left behind by the "Changing God". This being apparently lives in a host body for a decade or two, then finds a new body. The body left behind is then inhabited by a soul. Me.

The setup is cool, and I even interacted with different versions of myself to choose some character traits. I then had my first battle, a very simple tutorial. The battles are turn-based and are called "Crisis". This means that combat is not the only way out. I can apparently talk my way out of things during these events or even use the environment and magic to change the situation. I can't wait to see how this really works in game.

My character is a clever jack of all trades, which describes me pretty well. I was thrown out of the weird place (it was my mind) and landed in my body near a special chamber. I was told by my memories that I need the chamber, but that's about all I know. I met two interesting characters who immediately joined my party.

I really like dialogue trees...
The first is a priest for a group of cultists that worship the changing god. The other represents the Order of Truth or something. They each want me to come visit their groups, but that's where I stopped playing. I've only scratched the surface here, but it was tons of fun for me. I like these slow, text heavy games sometimes.