November 19, 2017

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Date played: November 19th
Platform: Switch

I think I'm starting to find my rhythm in Breath of the Wild. I kind of just pick a direction and go, hoping for the best. Having last stopped playing near a stable south of Lake Hylia, I decided to properly learn the horse system. I captured another horse and learned the details of how to use them and board them. The thing I don't like about it is that it's kind of hard to get my horse in the wilds, they never seem to be able to either hear my whistle or reach me. It seems the only reliable way to get my horse it to go to a stable. My first horse likes me a lot now, so I was able to change it's appearance and use my extravagant saddle!
My horse, Alice, gets a makeover with some new hair and a fancy saddle

At the stables, there was a person who gave me a side quest to go hunt some horse-riding bokoblins, so I went out and fought them with my own horse, shooting arrows at them. It worked pretty well but I kind of wish there was a bit of auto-aim for the arrows, the motion controls are a little too finicky for my tastes.

I explored the area a little bit, gathering materials and getting a feel for the area. I spotted a tropical area south of there that looks really interesting. I also saw Farosh again, the giant dragon, but I really have no idea what to do with it yet. It seems there's wind anytime he is close, but I haven't been able to really get close to him yet.

Of course, throughout all this exploration, I found a few shrines. I did two combat ones that pitted me against a pretty powerful mini-guardian. Those things don't have that much health, but they shoot giant fucking lasers that hit hard and are difficult to avoid. That being said, I managed to beat both shrines, scoring some ancient materials, including an Ancient Core, which seems kinda rare.

Another shrine was way more interesting. I had to drop a bomb inside a little railing, then set another bomb on top of a block, just above the railing. Detonating the first bomb made the block rise up in the air like those amusement park hammer games, then once at the top, detonating the second bomb blew open a hole in the ceiling, leading to the end of the shrine.

I went back to Hateno labs with my new materials and was able to upgrade my bombs to deal more damage! I also went to a statue to pray, upgrading my stamina twice. Finally, I found my first "memory", from Princess Zelda's pictures. I figured out that there's a dude I can talk to in some towns that will give me a hint on how to find these. His hints are really good, so I was able to find the location pretty easily.
Link and Zelda share an intimate moment

The memories are short cutscenes that show some key moments between Link and Zelda, back when they were together 100 years ago. It was a fun little scene, and it was nice to see Link wielding the Master Sword.