November 29, 2017

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Date played: November 28th
Platform: PS4

Here's a game I got on sale for like 10$ (I forget). I've always loved the aesthetic of the Deus Ex games, but I haven't loved every game. In fact, I've found them all pretty interesting, but never amazing.

It seems like the trend continues with this one. It's a direct sequel to the last game, which I never completed, so I spent a lot of time watching a recap video. I didn't understand much of it, except that there's pretty much a war between cyborgs and natural humans.

The hero, Adam Jensen, is a powerful cyborg. The tutorial puts me in a mission right away, where I have to jump onto a building's roof and block access to an elevator or something. Honestly, I am not paying attention at this point. The whole story is complicated to follow, everyone's angry all the time and it's just kind of long. I'm hoping that gameplay can help me forget all the bullshit they are talking about.
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided looks great in HDR

Thankfully, the game plays pretty damn well. I chose non lethal methods of combat (as much as possible), wielding a powerful tranquilizer sniper rifle and a couple of grenades. The sniper works well for taking out enemies at a distance, but it's tricky to use at close range.

There's a prominent cover mechanic that helps navigate the area stealthily. While Deus Ex allows for many types of approaches in combat and conflict resolution, it's still almost always a stealth game. I had fun with the tutorial, then the story started for real.

At the end of the mission, a big bomb went off, hurting Jensen considerably. I regain control of him weeks later as he recovers from his injuries. I have to get healed up to get back to to work. The presentation is really cool and fun, but I just couldn't quite follow the story at all. I guess I'll just stick to the mission objectives and make the most of it.