November 7, 2017

Torment: Tides of Numenera

Date played: November 6th
Platform: PS4

I played a little bit of Torment late last night, where I spent most of my time trying to free a prisoner from execution. I also lost a companion and gained a new one. My adventure began outside the crash site where I met a group of thugs wanting to investigate. I think there could have been a battle here, but I managed to talk my way out of it by lying skillfully.

The whole game's system is based around a few attributes, Might, Speed and Intelligence. These are a depleting resource that must be refilled somehow. They are used to raise the chance of success during various situations. It's a pretty fun system.

My two party members argued and they clearly won't travel together, so I had to choose between them. I decided to go with Calistege, from the Order of Truth. She seems like a backstabber, but at least she's not a delusional zealot.
I freed the prisoner by convincing the crowd to riot!

The best part of my time with the game was when I was approached by a man who asked me to help save his brother from execution. I chose to help. There were clearly a few ways to accomplish this, but I chose to convince the crowd to protest and free the prisoner with a few fun conversations. One of the brothers joined my party now, so that's cool. Torment is a very slow game, but I enjoyed what I played so far.