November 12, 2017

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Date played: November 11th
Platform: Switch

It's been a while since I picked this game up, but now that I'm stuck in a hotel for two weeks, it seemed like a good game to play. Last time I played, I had stopped short of crossing the giant bridge over Lake Hylia, to the south. I was heading towards the tower for the area to reveal the map, so I started with that.
Crossing the bridge to get to the tower
The tower wasn't too far away, but it was protected by a number of Bokoblins and Lizalfos. They weren't too much of a problem and I made my way to the tower. It was an easy climb, but I accidentally threw myself off with a misfired bomb. This led me to the bottom of a small lake, where I swam to safety as fast as I could.

I made my way back up to the tower and headed for a shrine I spotted nearby. It was near a new stable, and the area was littered with horses and Bokoblin horsemen. These guys are kind of a bitch to kill, and I think I'm probably doing it wrong, but I eventually found safety near the stables. I called my trusty horse, Alice, to complete a fun little side quest.

I had to clear an obstacle course by jumping over 15 obstacles under 1 minute 15 seconds. To my surprise, I was able to do that on the first try, maybe because my horse likes me a lot. This rewarded me with an exquisite saddle, a key item. I can't equip it, but the flavour text indicates I will need it for a festival at some point.

Next, I found the shrine I was looking for. This one was pretty cool, because I had to use some giant metal doors and magnesis to make some bridges between large platforms. There were also some small mechanical enemies here, like mini-guardians.

I still don't really know if I'm playing this game right, there's really no right way to play I think, so it's a little hard to just choose where to go and what to do, since there's really tons of stuff everywhere. I think exploring to at least get some of the map filled out is a good idea though.