November 30, 2017

Cuphead

Date played: November 29th
Platform: Xbox One

It's been awhile since I played my Xbox, but yesterday, I booted up Cuphead and managed to clear one platforming level and one boss in the second world. The level is something I had tried already, the last time I played, but had gotten stuck when fighting the last of the evil saxophones. This time around, I was successful, but it took me about 30 minutes of trial and error.

The level is not that crazy, but it's pretty long and has a few tricky sections where it's easy to make a mistake. There's also a couple of mini-bosses. While the first was easy, the second was hard because I was usually on my last heart and it required quick reactions.

The real action game from my epic battle against Grim Matchstick, a giant green dragon that breathes fire. This whole battle was a real challenge, as are most of the battles in Cuphead. The boss has about 4 phases, but the first was the one that was most difficult. The dragon flies through the air while I have to jump from cloud to cloud as I shoot him and avoid his various attacks. The problem here is that the clouds never appear in the same place, so it's really hard to pick up on a pattern.
Grim Matchstick's final phase

Still, with some practice, I mostly had this part down. Then, the 2nd phase adds some giant fireballs to the mix. This wasn't much different than the last phase. The 3rd was a bit tricky, as Mr. Matchstick attacked by throwing some little fire guys at me and was positioned in a way that was hard to deal regular damage.

The final phase sees the dragon turn sprout two extra heads as a giant storm brews. This phase was hard, but mostly because I had a hard time getting to that point at all. After a few attempts, I was able to dodge the giant flames and projectiles long enough to kill the fat fuck.

Cuphead requires skill, speed, dexterity, pattern recognition and a lot of perseverance, but it's also really satisfying to win. I still have one boss left to kill in this world before I can move on.