November 20, 2017

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Date played: November 20th
Platform: Switch

Once again, I jumped into the world of Breath of the Wild, exploring some new areas. I figured it would be helpful if I at least got the map to show a bit more, so I headed West to get a few towers. This turned out to be a bit more complicated than I expected for a few reasons.

The first tower I reached was patrolled by a guardian, the large mechanical devices that roam the land and shoot giant lasers of death. I managed to avoid the one walking around, but there were a few immobile ones near the tower. I put on my climbing gear and moved quickly from ledge to ledge to get to the top.

I explored further west and found an old ruined coliseum, surrounded by a weird, dark ooze substance. Inside was a scary beast called a Lynel. I've heard about these centaur looking monsters from other players, and I knew I should stay well clear of them. I found a few shrines along the way, enough to upgrade my stamina once more. I'm trying to get a full extra wheel of it before I add more hearts...

One of the shrines I found was much longer than most. It had me use a combination of many powers, including magnesis, stasis and bombs. It even had me moving large balls of stone around, using momentum to throw them into big doors and stuff. This one almost felt like a mini dungeon more than a regular shrine, and I really enjoyed that. Another one was a bit shorter, but required some smart challenging movement, avoiding some large spinning metal balls with spikes. Shrines are so much fun!

During my exploration out west, I found a mountain that looked a lot like one of the pictures I had as a memory. It turns out I was wrong, but I explored the mountain a lot. I took my horse and explored a lot, picking up some valuable materials (my first diamond!) and trying to get to high ground.

I was confronted with a giant skeletal cyclop known as Stalnix. This guy has lots of HP, can use his own ribs as a weapon and is powerful enough to pick up trees. I kept my distance and shot at his single eye with arrows. I was surprised to see his eye drop to the ground! I was then able to freely swing at it with my sword. Rinse and repeat!
Stalnox is about to go down!
While resupplying at a stable, I spoke to the guy who gives hints about memories and he directed me to a secluded area near a small lake. I made my way there and saw my second memory flashback. This time, Zelda and Link were heading towards the land of the Gorons. It wasn't as impactful as the first memory, but I have a feeling the Gorons aren't too far away from there.

I also stumbled upon some wizards, a fire one and some lightning ones. The fire one was pretty hard to beat, but since he was alone, I managed to kill him just fine with patience. He dropped a fire rod, which I showed to the kid in Hateno village, continuing his quest to see as many cool weapons as possible.

The lightning ones were near another tower I was trying to climb. This whole tower can suck a fucking dick. It's surrounded by water, which is infested with Lizalfos and at least 3 of those pesky wizards. I tried flying in from a distance, but fell short and ended up in the water anyway, where the enemies damaged me enough to use up all my fairies. I thought I was clear because I had managed to start climbing.

I was so fucking wrong. It turns out, thunderstorms are a thing in Breath of the Wild. I thought it looked really cool and was enjoying my climb until the catastrophic moment where I was directly hit by a lightning bolt! What the fuck?!? This killed me and gave me a game over screen.

It feels like I should be discovering a new village soon, because I haven't even seen a hint of where the story quests are except from their map icons. I think I'm gonna head to the north east now because I'm running into some monsters that are a little bit out of my league right now. Plus, there's another lab there, or so I heard. I'm having a good time with the game now. It's kind of a slow burn, and it's a hard game to just pick up out of the blue. It feels like it's designed to be played regularly, so maybe that's why I had trouble getting into it before.