November 6, 2017

Gran Turismo Sport

Date played: November 5th
Platform: PS4

I wanted to do one quick race before trying out Torment last night, but when I picked the Sport event, I didn't look at the number of laps... I ended up racing my AMG SLS for 10 laps around the Dragon Trail, which is about 15 minutes of racing I think.

Qualifying went well, but not great. I only had time for a few laps before the race started, managing a decent time. I knew I could shave off at least one second, but I just didn't have time. This placed me 11th on a grid of 19. Not great, but could have been worse.
My lovely AMG SLS

My first lap started well enough, but I hit a wall on the hairpin and was stuck in 11th for a while because of that. I knew this was a long race though, so I buckled down and focused on racing clean and fast. I tried to ignore other drivers as much as possible. This worked pretty well for me. After 7 laps, I had climbed up to 5th place!

This was partly due to one or two quitters, but also to the fact that I was kind of in no man's land between the head of the pack and the slower group. I had an empty track to play with, I just had to keep my concentration. I eventually caught up to 4th and passed him, stealing his position!

I particularly loved this race because I managed to stay completely cool throughout the whole thing. I was exhausted at the end, but I was stable mentally, allowing me to focus on my driving line the whole race rather than other factors, like position or other racers. I know 4th place doesn't sound like much, but I was really proud of this race.