November 11, 2017

Golf Story

Date played: November 9th
Platform: Switch

Golf Story is a top down, 2D RPG mixed with golf. Yes, it's as weird as it sounds. The hero is a young man who decides to dump his girlfriend and make his entire life focused on golf. The writing is funny, the characters are interesting and the actual golf is pretty damn good.

I have a long history with golf games, mostly thanks to an old EA golf game I played with my dad on a monochrome DOS machine. I loved this game back in the day... Later, Hot Shots Golf became an important game in my household, as I played it with my brothers a lot. Unfortunately, there aren't very many interesting golf games. Too many of them try to be a simulation, which doesn't really interest me. I like goofy, stupid golf.

Golf Story is good, stupid golf, and I love it. I had to prove to the coach that I had what it takes to be trained by him. I explored the golf course, meeting many interesting characters along the way. Most of the gameplay is about solving little puzzles or completing golfing challenges.

For example, I am trying to open the door to a building by hitting switches scattered throughout. The big hook here is that you can tee off anywhere and swing! That's how I had to find these switches. I also completed some challenges at the driving range and played a bit of Disc Golf with some hooligans.

Finally, I had to actually play a full 9 hole round of golf. Even then, the game was completely silly, featuring some funny little moles that steal the ball and dump it in the worst places. It plays a lot like Hot Shots Golf, with a little meter for power and accuracy. I can even apply spin to my ball, and have to take into account wind and slopes. It's a lot of fun really.

I proved to the coach I was ready, so I'm now heading to the second course.